A couple days ago, my entire grade went on a hiking trip at a state park. It was a fun experience, but I just wish we had more time to hike!
Anyways, I packed a couple snacks based on my prior hiking trips with my family, and here are my favorites and some tips.
- Trail Mix: DIY or a healthy store bought one (no M&Ms though 🙂 ) I packed a store bought one that had pecans, cranberries, yogurt balls, peanuts, and I added raw almonds and cashews
- Fruit: Apples, peaches, pears, anything that does not have to be peeled (eg. not kiwi or mango). Also, don’t pack bananas unless you will be eating them right away! My banana smushed in my bag and produced a terrible smell. I had to carry it down the mountain and on the bus ride back to school due to no trash cans!
- Dried Fruit (Mango, Banana, Apple, etc.) are perfect for snacking. They can be put in the trail mix as well.
- Energy Bars: KIND bars, Clif bars, Luna bars, etc.
- Sandwich: a boring spinach, tomato, & cheese. Spice it up with mashed avocado!
- Crackers if you’re into the savory like me! Just don’t binge-eat them 🙂 )
I hope this will inspire you to experience the great outdoors and not compromise your nutrition! Here are some of my favorite pics from a family hiking trip in Washington & Oregon from last summer.
What are your go-to food tips for hiking?