Ok. So I looove almond milk. But one of my closest friends hates almond milk. Hates almond milk with a burning passion. Apparently it’s a F- on her scale.
So we always have arguments regarding almond milk. So today on the blog, I want to talk about almond milk in an unbiased way (or at least I’ll try).
So starting with the benefits:
- Has lower calories | One cup of almond milk has 60 calories, opposed to 146 calories in milk.
- Almond milk is heart healthy | There’s no cholesterol or saturated fat in almond milk. It is also sodium and has healthy fats (from the almonds, omega fatty acids).
- It keeps your bones strong | Almond milk has 50% more calcium than regular milk and has a good amount of vitamin D. These two nutrients help for strong bones.
- Keeps your skin glowing | Almond milk has 50% of the daily amount of vitamin E. Vitamin E has antioxidants that are great for your skin’s health.
- Doesn’t contain lactose | For those lactose-intolerant people, almond milk is a good substitute for milk.
Onto the bad stuff:
- Almond milk has high levels of tyrosine. | Tyrosine affects the level of thyroid hormones, so people with thyroid, it’s best to avoid.
- Almond milk also has a lot of thickeners. | In most thickeners, there is the ingredient carrageenan. Carrageenan has side effects that causes digestive distress such as excessive gas, bloating, diarrhea, and fatigue.
- It isn’t “real” milk. | Unlike cow milk, almond milk is made from factories. However, while it’s not natural per se when compared to regular milk, but in terms of processed foods, almond milk is not the worst. It may be one of the better processed foods.
I actually think that the pros of almond milk outweigh the bad. So think what you think, but I’m going to continue drinking my almond milk!
Are you a yay/nay to almond milk?